About Us


We all have questions sometimes and whether it be related to our aged care residences, independent living villages or our home care services, here are some we are asked often. 

If you don't find what you are looking for you can contact us.

About Catholic Homes

For more than 55 years Catholic Homes has responded to the aged care and accommodation needs of older people in Western Australia.

Employing more than 500 staff supported by our dedicated team of volunteers, Catholic Homes operates six residential aged care services and four retirement villages in Perth and Bunbury as well as offering home care in the Midwest, Wheatbelt and Metropolitan regions. Our popular day therapy centre in Guildford offers a range of allied health, fitness and companionship activites.

We are an incorporated charitable organisation and a registered public benevolent institution with the Government’s Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission.

As a registered not-for-profit (public benevolent institution) Catholic Homes works to deliver its mission with any profit generated is used to benefit our residents and clients.

Catholic Homes responds to all people no matter their means, background or beliefs as we seek to create places where everyone feels welcome and at home.

We welcome people from all cultures and religious backgrounds and are here to enable you to live your best life on your terms.

We’re proud of our Christian heritage which has enabled us to build a community of care providing exceptional services.

We encourage applications from people who share our values and are passionate about providing the best services to older people, so that everyone Catholic Homes can enjoy their best life.

Our goal is to be the employer of choice in aged care in WA and we are committed to a stimulating, safe and friendly workplace. We are dedicated to our staff to increase their potential and be able to build a career in one of the nation’s most vital healthcare sectors.

Home Care

There are many reasons why you might consider Home Care: You may be having more trouble doing things that were easy, experienced a change in your health or returned home from hospital.

Everyone values their independence which means you don’t need to give up your freedom being just because you might need a hand with the day-to-day.

People want to be safe and happy at home and Home Care is all about maintaining your choice and independence and includes a comprehensive case management service.

Eligibility for government-subsidised Home Care is based on your needs and circumstances and is determined by an individualised assessment by specialists from My Aged Care and relevant assessment bodies.

To gain access Home Care you will need an assessment arranged through the Australian Government’s entry point into aged care services, My Aged Care.

To qualify for an assessment you’ll be aged 65 years or more or aged 50 or more for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people and meet requirements set out by My Aged Care.

If you’re not sure how the process works, please call our Home Care Team on 1300 244 000.

For those who require lower levels of support, their assessment will be done by the Regional Assessment Service. 

A face-to-face or phone assessment will quickly determine if you can assess entry-level services under the Commonwealth Home Support Programme some of which can be provided by Catholic Homes.

If you have more complex needs requiring regular Home Care, a member of the Aged Care Assessment Team will be in contact. 

An ACAT assessor will talk to you about your needs and help develop a support plan for you. From there, your eligibility for services is determined and you can choose a quality provider such as Catholic Homes.  

The assessor will be able to determine what services you are eligible for once the assessment is complete.

If your needs are straightforward, you might be eligible for entry-level Home Care under the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP). Your assessor should be able to confirm this during your assessment.

You need a referral to access CHSP services. The RAS assessor will advise provider options and refer to your preferred provider. Catholic Homes may be able to assist you to commence the services you need.

If you need more complex care, your confirmation will be given in writing. You’ll receive a letter from the aged care assessment team stating you have been assigned a package, keep this letter and you can contact Catholic Homes if we are your preferred provider. 

Most Home Care services are subsidised by the Australian Government though you are expected to contribute towards some of the costs.

Costs very depending on type of services and the complexity of care you need; as well as your capacity to pay. 

A Home Care Package provides services tailored to meet your care needs to help you enjoy your own home for as long as possible as you get older while giving you the choice and flexibility in the way your care and services are provided to you at home.

There are four types of Home Care packages, from low to higher care, that Catholic Homes can offer and each service is funded at different levels.

Contact one of our experienced case managers who will help you create a support plan and budget to suit your package fund and needs.

Catholic Homes' Short Term Restorative Care provides a range of care and services to improve your wellbeing, help you stay independent by improving your ability to complete everyday tasks.

You may be able to receive Short Term Restorative Care in your home, in the community. Eligibility is determined by the ACAT.

Short Term Restorative Care can be provided for up to eight weeks (56 days) depending on your needs. You may be eligible to Short Term Restorative Care twice in any twelve month period.

The Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) provides a fixed range of entry-level services to older people in their own home. 

Eligibility is determined by a Regional Assessment Team (RAS) assessment. CHSP services may include day therapy, transport, domestic help, personal care, home modifications and nursing care.

If you are not eligible for a government-subsidised service, this may be for you.

Private Services provides one-on-one support from one of our friendly team to support you in the home or accompany you to visit and connect with old friends, enjoy community based activities, attend appointments or go shopping.

You can either be living in the community or residing in an aged care facility. This service is tailor made to suit your individual circumstances.

Yes, you can choose to change your provider at any time. We can make it very easy for you to make the switch to Catholic Homes.

Residential Care

Residential aged care (also known as nursing homes, aged care hostels or residential aged care facilities) is for older people who are not able to reside safely in their own home and need greater assistance with daily tasks or their health care.

All government-subsidised aged care services are subject to an assessment to determine your eligibility so that the services you choose meet your requirements and provide the kinds of supports you need.

The easiest way to start the process is to register with My Aged Care, Australia’s entryway to government-subsidised aged care services.

You can apply online at myagedcaregov.au or call the contact centre on 1800 200 422. Or call our friendly team on 1300 244 111.

During the initial chat with My Aged Care, they will need some basic information to help determine your eligibility for aged care services.

You’ll need to provide your Medicare details and they will also ask about your circumstances at home, how you are managing and how your health is. You’ll also be asked if you are currently receiving any support, such as home care.

Once your eligibility is confirmed, My Aged Care will arrange to meet with you for a face-to-face assessment.

Once you have had your assessment you will receive a letter from My Aged Care that confirms the aged care services you are eligible for.

Keep this letter handy as it contains important information including your referral code and your care plan. Once you receive your approval letter you can seek out a quality provider such as Catholic Homes.

Wait-listing depends on the home you are interested in and the number of applications we have received. 

At Catholic Homes, our residences manage applications directly so it’s best to call the home to discuss your circumstances and how we can help.

Catholic Homes also offer Short Term Restorative Care in your home. To find out if you are eligible for Short Term Restorative Care Services, call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or speak with your GP.

Yes, you are most welcome to visit. Please contact the residence/s you are interested in directly to organise a viewing and meet our team.

Please note that government pandemic response directions remain in place: to visit you must provide proof of your current influenza vaccination; complete a screening form that confirms your health. If you do not meet screening requirements you will not be able to enter. If you are unwell we ask that you refrain from visiting until all your symptoms have fully resolved.

We recommend you contact the Facility Manager of your preferred home to discuss your requirements and how we can assist.

Yes, all our residences welcome couples, with homes offering single room style accommodation. Our St Vincent’s residence in Guildford offers a twin room.

To make it more affordable for older Australians, the majority of residential aged care services are significantly subsidised by the Australian Government.

Depending on your circumstances and a financial assessment by the Department of Human Services (Centrelink) or the Department of Veterans Affairs, residents are expected to pay a contribution towards their accommodation.

Formerly known as ‘the bond’ the Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD) can be paid a number of ways, see below.

A separate cost for hotel services in the residence, such as meals and cleaning, called a basic daily care fee, is also payable.

Depending on your assessed assets and income, as determined by Centrelink/DVA, you may be asked to pay a means tested fee in addition to the daily fee and the accommodation cost.

Centrelink or the DVA will determine how much you will be expected to pay. 

Your accommodation can be paid for a number of ways. Depending on your preferences and financial circumstances, you can make payment:

• in full, as a single lump sum; or 
• as a Daily Accommodation Payment (DAP) much like a rental payment; or 
• or as a RAD/DAP combination of a smaller lump deposit and a daily payment. 

Don’t worry if you are undecided, you have 28 days after admission to confirm your payment method.

Means testing is a method of how the Australian Government determines it will pay towards residents’ aged care services.

Means tested fees are determined by a Centrelink/DVA income and assets assessment.

An assessment of your financial situation helps the government determine how much it can subsidise your accommodation and how much you will need to contribute. 

Please contact My Aged Care or download the application form from their website myagedcare.gov.au to start the process. 

We respond to all people regardless of their means, please contact Catholic Homes on 1300 244 111 to discuss your situation.

We encourage you to bring your favourite items from home that make you feel comfortable. 

To make your room your own, please bring your favourite bed linen, pictures or family photos, ornaments and anything else that makes you feel comfortable.

Yes, we are happy to meet your tastes and we can accommodate almost all dietary requirements.

Please discuss your preferences with our staff when you prepare to move in. You can always change your mind at any time.

If your family or friends wish to bring in your favourite food, we can accommodate. We remind visitors to ensure care is taken in food preparation and transport so that meals meet food safety requirements.

We ask that visitors label meals with your name and the date prepared. Please see reception for important information.

Catholic Homes offers short term residential respite, either planned in advance or in case of emergency.

We offer a number of days of respite across our residences so you or your carer can take a well-deserved break. Be assured your loved one will receive the same quality level of care, including care planning, when they are with us.

If you are seeking planned or emergency respite, please call us to discuss your needs and care requirements.

Yes, residents are entitled to 52 days of social leave a year. Please inform staff of your plans for social leave from your residence.

You are welcome at Catholic Homes. 

Family and friends can visit anytime throughout the day or night. We ask that all visitors sign-in upon arrival and sign-out when leaving.

When you join Catholic Homes an individual care plan is developed with you by our nursing and allied health team.

We talk to you about your life and what is important to you. We focus on your health care needs and what you want to achieve for your wellbeing.

A care plan is always changing, so that the healthcare and supports you receive best meet your needs, preferences and goals.

Our aim is to ensure you have a greater understanding, control, independence and management of the care and services you receive at Catholic Homes.

Independent Living

Catholic Homes owns and operates four Independent Living villages, as well as residential aged care and home care services. The organisation is an incorporated association (est. 1965) and a registered charitable institution.

Catholic Homes is governed by its Board and managed by a highly experienced executive team with a broad range of qualifications and expertise including business, nursing and health services, accounting and community development.  

To qualify for residency, at least one resident in a villa must be aged 55 years or older.
All residents should be capable of Independent Living in the village.

Residents don’t own the asset but may benefit from any growth in its value when their villa is “sold”.

When you purchase a lease, your payment means that when there is capital growth on the property upon re-sale, you share in this growth. This is sometimes called a “capital share lease” arrangement.

Villa values go up and down over time in much the same way as your current residence. Under the Independent Living Village Agreement, residents receive the benefit of a proportion of capital growth, subject to conditions, upon re-leasing. This does vary between villages and organisations and you should check to see if an agreement allows you to benefit from capital growth. 

Yes, pets may be permitted at the discretion of Catholic Homes and must be authorised in writing.

Incoming residents must abide by and sign a Pet Agreement Form, as your pet should not intrude on your neighbour’s amenity. Assistance and guide dogs are permitted. 

Current legislation deems that Independent Living village residents do not have automatic entry to an aged care residence. 

Residents of our Independent Living villas receive a security of tenure through a lifetime lease for the exclusive occupancy of the residence (often called a “lease for life”). 

This is subject to the rights of termination in accordance with the Retirement Villages Act 1992 and the Agreement for Villa Residency.

Residents are granted the right to use the common areas and community facilities on a shared basis with other residents.

The “Entry Contribution” is the current market value payable for a villa within the village setting.

Leases are widely used by retirement village operators in Western Australia as they are the most practical and cost effective method for residency contracts.

A lease gives residents the security of tenure they reasonably expect and ensures that the whole village is maintained to a continually high standard by Catholic Homes. This type of agreement also keeps the development costs down as there are no separate titles and no GST payable on the lease. Stamp duty may be payable in some villages, but no stamp duty is applicable for an Independent Living village under current legislation.

The result is a lower purchase price to you.

A long-term lease also provides a secure and legally binding interest that is protected by the Residency Agreement, the Retirement Villages Act 1992, Fair Trading (Retirement Village Code) Regulations and a Memorial which is lodged over the title of the village protecting your rights under the Retirement Villages Act.

The village cannot be sold for any other purpose than as a retirement village so your investment is secure.

Each residence contributes a proportion of the retirement village operating costs. 

This proportion is based on the size of the residence, the number of bedrooms in your villa. The amount of this fortnightly payment is presented at an Independent Living Villa Residents’ Budget Meeting usually held in May each year before the end of each financial year.

Independent Living residents are invited to comment on and ask questions about the proposed budget and fortnightly fees payable for the next financial year.

Fees are payable fortnightly in advance. For the current fortnightly fees payable at our villages please consult the accompanying financial information fact sheet.

Some components of the village operating costs are described below and a more comprehensive list is provided in the Residency Agreement:

• Grounds maintenance to the common areas 
• Shopping bus service 
• Building maintenance, including external painting 
• Community centre maintenance 
• Salary expenses 
• Energy costs to common areas 
• Water rates and consumption/taxes/fees/rubbish removal 
• Insurances for buildings, public liability and worker’s compensation for employees of the village 
• Security patrols overnight 
• Council shared rubbish service and emergency service levy

Items not covered in the fortnightly fees which the resident is responsible for:

• Contents insurance and worker’s compensation insurance if you wish to employ your own tradespeople or domestic assistance 
• Personal use of gas, electricity, phone, internet, Foxtel and any other services provided to the residence 
• Rates are currently exempt and are controlled by State Government law in relation to the churches and charitable or “not for profit” sector. You would be responsible to pay rates if the law is changed in future and, in this event, normal concessional rebates applicable on an individual basis would apply to you.

You are responsible for keeping the interior of the villa, its additions, including plumbing fixtures, doors and locks, glass and other fixtures in or belonging to the villa in good and tenantable repair and condition. 

In addition, you maintain any private outdoor areas and gardens not forming part of the common areas. 

Most of our villages provide either a carport or garage for residential use. 

Visitor parking is available at all Catholic Homes sites. At Servite Retirement Living in Joondanna there are 12 carports for 24 villas with street parking for visitors.

A range of optional services such as meals, house and window cleaning will be available on a user pay basis. 

Yes, all Independent Living residents can receive Home Care services in their villa and are welcome to choose their own provider.

Catholic Homes offers a highly competitive, personalised Home Care service. Contact 1300 244 000 or homecare@catholichomes.com for more information.

Yes, a security service patrols the village twice at random times during the night.

If you have a life-threatening emergency in your villa, you are advised to call 000. The operator will ask which service you require – ambulance, police or fire. Please nominate the service you need and the operator will confirm your address so the service can be sent to you as soon as possible.

The Agreement for Villa Residency may be terminated in the following circumstances:

• The resident wishes to terminate 
• The resident dies, or if the residence is leased to more than one resident when the sole surviving resident dies 
• Due to health reasons it is not suitable for the resident to reside in the village 
• The resident is in serious default under the Lease and fails to rectify that default 
• Circumstances exist, as provided for in the Retirement Villages Act 1992, which entitle termination.

In points 3, 4 and 5, except where the resident agrees to terminate, the termination must be made by an order of the State Administrative Tribunal.

Catholic Homes markets the residence directly or by its agent. The villa can only be marketed in accordance with the marketing provisions of the village scheme.

The current market value is determined by Catholic Homes’ real estate appraisal before the villa is offered for sale. The value will be determined taking into account the general real estate market at the time, the villa’s position within the village and any refurbishments carried out by either Catholic Homes or previous resident.

The outgoing resident or their nominated contact will be kept informed of the re-lease process

As the villas are held under a lease, they are not actually “sold” in the legal meaning of the word. Rather, the lease is terminated and the villa re-leased to the new resident. When the villa is re-leased, it is usually at the current market value.

Catholic Homes will refund the Entry Contribution amount payable in accordance with the Agreement within 45 days of the date the villa is cleared and the key is returned.

When the “New Entry Contribution” is paid by the new resident, Catholic Homes will take into account the following:

• Market value increase or decrease
• Refurbishment/leasing costs
• Other costs due and payable to Catholic Homes


Yes, we know it is important for you to speak your loved one. During a outbreak, arrangements can be made to ensure families, loved ones and friends can talk to residents via telephone and video. For infection prevention and control purposes, we encourage families to purchase tablets or smart phones for their loved ones to use.

As the nominated representative, we ask that you please share information with other family members and friends of your loved one. 

Yes, we understand it is important for you to see your loved one. You can visit your loved one and follow the set visitation requirements.

Yes, you are able to take your loved one out of the residence. We recommend visits are limited to your family home or to an outdoor setting. Your loved one would be required to wear a mask to minimise the risk of transmission.

Yes, family members can take their loved ones home for the period of a suspected or confirmed outbreak. Please speak to the Facility Manager.

The My Aged Care website (myagedcare.gov.au) provides information for services related to emergency leave from residential aged care and home care support while out of the service. There may be restrictions on when your loved one can return to the facility.

All residents will be provided with the care most appropriate to their needs, within the restrictions the Public Health Unit puts in place to stop the spread of the virus. We will ensure residents are updated on any changes to their care routines. Some changes you can expect will be in relation to meal services, hygiene procedures such as wearing full personal protective equipment, and a reduction in visiting services such as hairdressing.

Partners in Care will come into effect should here be any issues with staffing. If you are wanting to volunteer your time and assist with caring for your loved one, please contact the Facility Manager. Please note PPE training would need to be undertaken for any partner in care.

Residents can have one Partner in Care and one nominated visitor. If a next of kin is unable to be a Partner in Care, another family member can be nominated. A Partner in Care form would need to be completed, please speak to the Facility Manager. 

Yes, the Facility Manager will notify you.

Under our care and supervision, the positive case would need to isolate in their room and receive the appropriate testing for a 7-day period. All other residents in that house/wing would not need to isolate in their rooms but would need to remain in the house/wing. RAT or PCR tests would be undertaken for anyone who was in close contact with the person of concern.

Yes. Families will be notified as soon as possible if a resident or staff member tests positive.

Standard protocols apply unless the government has declared an outbreak: visitors and staff are currently not required to complete a RAT test to enter our residences. Mask wearing is compulsory until furter notice.

Cohorting would be undertaken as a last resort and on the guidance of the Public Health Unit. Catholic Homes will contact all families to keep you informed if cohorting is required. We will ensure all our care and services during are suitable for people living with dementia and that residents remain closely monitored and cared for.

Catholic Homes Lifestyle and Pastoral Care teams on site will ensure activities for residents are maintained and people can choose to participate as much as they prefer.


Care With Purpose

Our aged care model ‘Care with Purpose’ incorporates our core values of joy, love and hospitality. ‘Care with Purpose’ promotes independence by encouraging and supporting those we care for, from our aged care residents to those we care for in their own home. We encourage and support you to do as much as you can for yourself; and to be engaged in activities, interests and hobbies that add value to your life.

Read More


Care With Purpose

Our aged care model ‘Care with Purpose’ incorporates our core values of joy, love and hospitality. ‘Care with Purpose’ promotes independence by encouraging and supporting those we care for, from our aged care residents to those we care for in their own home. We encourage and support you to do as much as you can for yourself; and to be engaged in activities, interests and hobbies that add value to your life.

Read More