Bless You, St Vincent’s
The new St Vincent’s was officially launched with a smoking ceremony and a formal blessing on 28th February 2020.
Situated on the banks of the Swan River in Guildford, the new building embraces a shift from the traditional aged care model to a modern approach. The contemporary design nestles into its historic Guildford location just as the settlers did in 1829 in the Swan River colony.
Perth Auxiliary Bishop Donald Sproxton formally blessed the building and sprinkled the rooms and halls with Holy Water using a sprig of gum leaves. A traditional smoking ceremony was conducted by local Wadjuk Noongar Elder Uncle Ben Taylor Cuermara.
Guests included the Bunbury Bishop Gerard Holohan, City of Swan Mayor Cr Kevin Bailey and the City of Swan Chief Executive Mike Foley along with members of the community and industry as well as staff and residents.
Catholic Homes celebrates over 50 years of service to Western Australia’s aged care industry and took over the St Vincent’s site in 1993 from the Daughters of Charity who were running it as the St Vincent’s Hospital and a home for the aged.
The redevelopment marks a new chapter in St Vincent’s history and on-site remains the original Bebo Moro homestead, which was constructed in three stages between 1839 and 1930, and is now part of the Day Therapy Centre offering personalised Allied Health services.
Our residents have settled into the new two-storey building, which includes 85 single rooms with ensuite bathrooms, plus one couple’s suite with a private sitting room, individual temperature controls, wi-fi and flat screen smart TVs.
Designed by industry experts to be sympathetic to the environment, large windows invite the outside in and many of the light and airy bedrooms and living areas have Swan River or native bushland views.
For the ceremony, our onsite chef and kitchen team outdid themselves with a beautiful spread of pastries, sandwiches, baked goods and fruit platters.